How to Avoid Falling Victim to Loss Aversion

Written byWayne Duggan
Published on25 October 2022

Synopsis:


When it comes to successful trading, sometimes a trader’s own mind can be their worst enemy. Loss aversion is one of the dozens of cognitive biases that are a part of human nature and can hold traders back from maximizing market gains.



What is Loss Aversion?


Loss aversion is a psychological phenomenon that makes humans experience losses more severely than gains of equal magnitude.


On some level, people are aware of this lopsided emotional return, so we tend to place a disproportionate amount of attention on fear of losses rather than on taking full advantage of opportunities for gains.


A famous study of PGA golfers demonstrated the impact of loss aversion. The study by Chicago Booth professor Devin Pope and Wharton professor Maurice Schweitzer found PGA golfers make par putts 2% more frequently than they do birdie putts of the same distance. There’s no rational reason for this phenomenon other than golfers focus more and perform better when they are facing the possibility of losing a stroke on their score than they do when presented an opportunity to gain a stroke.


Why Loss Aversion Matters


Any successful trader knows making money in the market is not about being right 100% of the time. The key is finding an edge and taking advantage of that edge consistently.


If a trade has a 70% chance of producing a $1,000 gain and a 30% chance of producing a $1,500 loss, the trade will statistically be profitable over time. The expected value of the trade can be calculated by multiplying $1,000 times 0.7 and then subtracting $1,500 times 0.3. The result is a +$200 expected value. Therefore, if you perform that same hypothetical trade thousands of times, you will ultimately average a $200 gain per trade.


Unfortunately, fear of the potential $1,500 loss might make some traders avoid that winning trade altogether.


Tips to Manage Loss Aversion



The best piece of advice for traders looking to avoid the repercussions of loss aversion and any other cognitive bias is to simply remove emotions from your trading. Almost all trading emotions are motivated by either fear or greed, two states of mind that nearly always steer traders in the wrong direction.


Clearly define an exit strategy for each trade before you open it — and stay disciplined. You’re far less likely to make an emotional decision before you have real money on the line.


And before you sell a winning stock, rethink why you are selling. Is it because your original trading thesis has changed, or is it because you are cashing out in fear of losing your gains?


Disclosure: The author holds no positions in the securities mentioned.



Active Trading with Lightspeed


Lightspeed provides professional traders with all the tools required to help them find success in stock trading, and we have been developing and honing our active trader platform to offer an optimal user experience. With the intuitive interface layouts and institutional quality stock and options scanners, we aim to help traders reach their goals, no matter what their strategy is. We also offer our clients some of the lowest trading fees in the industry.


For more information on a professional trading platform with Lightspeed, please call us at 1-888-577-3123, request a demo, or to open an account.

Lightspeed Financial Services Group LLC is not affiliated with these third-party market commentators/educators or service providers. Data, information, and material (“Content”) are provided for informational and educational purposes only. This content neither is, nor should be construed as an offer, solicitation, or recommendation to buy or sell any securities or contracts. Any investment decisions made by the user through the use of such content are solely based on the user's independent analysis taking into consideration your financial circumstances, investment objectives, and risk tolerance. Lightspeed Financial Services Group LLC does not endorse, offer or recommend any of the services or commentary provided by any of the market commentators/educators or service providers, and any information used to execute any trading strategies are solely based on the independent analysis of the user.


Futures trading involves the substantial risk of loss and is not suitable for all investors.

Each investor must consider whether this is a suitable investment since you may lose all of or more than your initial investment.

Past performance is not indicative of future results.


Lightspeed newsletter

Latest posts

Never miss a beat

Stay on top of the latest news and market insights

View all posts

Trade stock, options and futures

Lightspeed offers active and professional traders highly accurate market data, complex order management, fast executions, and over 100 routing destinations.

Lightspeed Financial Services Group LLC is not affiliated with these third-party market commentators/educators or service providers. Data, information, and material (“Content”) are provided for informational and educational purposes only. This content neither is, nor should be construed as an offer, solicitation, or recommendation to buy or sell any securities or contracts. Any investment decisions made by the user through the use of such content are solely based on the user's independent analysis taking into consideration your financial circumstances, investment objectives, and risk tolerance. Lightspeed Financial Services Group LLC does not endorse, offer or recommend any of the services or commentary provided by any of the market commentators/educators or service providers, and any information used to execute any trading strategies are solely based on the independent analysis of the user.

Join our newsletter

We’ll send you a nice letter once per week. No spam.

© 2022 Lightspeed Financial Services Group, LLC. All rights reserved.

Equities, equities options, and commodity futures products and services are offered by Lightspeed Financial Services Group LLC (Member FINRA, NFA and SIPC). Lightspeed Financial Services Group LLC’s SIPC coverage is available only for securities, and for cash held in connection with the purchase or sale of securities, in equities and equities options accounts. You may check the background of Lightspeed Financial Services Group LLC on FINRA’s BrokerCheck.